To add to the story from the last post about Alafoss, I discovered after I had crunched all the numbers that the pattern repeat for the second colourwork band in the yoke wouldn't fit neatly into the number of stitches I was told to decrease to! I would have had a fraction of a snowflake at the end of the round, which would be really obvious and which I knew would annoy me.
So, I had to first figure out the correct number of stitches I needed to have to fit a whole number of pattern repeats around the yoke, and then I had to figure out the new "decrease evenly across rnd" scheme based on the new number of stitches. Luckily, it worked out to something nice and easy, but man, did I ever do a ton of math on this yoke. I also ended up reknittingthe first few rows of the snowflake band a few times, which was a bit annoying. I still really like the pattern, but I am definitely going to document this on Ravelry so that others won't have the same troubles. Note to self: consult Ravelry before you start a pattern, not after you're having troubles.
The body and sleeves turned out a bit long because the yoke ended up long as well, so I devised a way to shorten them without reknitting: I unjoined the sleeves and body from the yoke, ripped out the extra rows, and then grafted them back with Kitchener stitch. I thought I was being sooooo clever, and I even neatly took apart the sweater and put each piece on a different needle.
This turned out to be, like, the worst idea ever. I am still trying to figure out where I went wrong and how I should have done it, but in grafting, I am at the end of the yoke and sleeve stitches and have 24 extra stitches on the body! If it were two or three extra stitches, I could probably find a place to hide them, but twenty. Freaking. Four!! So frustrating. So now Alafoss is cowering in the corner while I try to figure out what to do: unpick all the grafting (which took me three hours), of course, and either re-knit everything from the top down, or rejig the grafting and see if I can somehow get the stitch count to match. And, as a very last resort, I could always convince O to grow a hump on his back, kind of under his left armpit, where the lump in the sweater would be.
Sigh...the things I go through in the name of good knitting. Sad days for Alafoss, you guys, but I'll sort it out eventually.